Off Topic General ED discussion & off topic banter

Currently showing ALL forums.
Beware the Carphone Warehouse "lifeline"
View Topics New Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Old Fri 21st Nov, 10:56   #1
Sir_Pyrate

Default Beware the Carphone Warehouse "lifeline"

I've had real problems with Carphone Warehouse "lifeline" insurance.

My N95 (2 months old - O2 through Carphone Warehouse but stupidly I took out insurance through CPW when I bought the phone) slipped off the car seat and went literally down between the seat and the carpeted bit down the side of the seat. I picked it back up and the LCD screen beneath the plastic screen was cracked and the display no longer worked. It was the gentlest of drops and the thing shattered.

I took it into the Solihull branch of CPW, they had a weekend worker on who didn't want to know, was thoroughly rude and said they had no loan phone, would take 2 weeks to repair and would I mind driving all the way to Sheldon to see if they MIGHT have a loan phone I could borrow.

Bear in mind that the fee for CPW insurance is the most expensive I have seen (12 pounds per month) to my horror they were charging me a 29.50 excess fee, and then wanted a 20 pound deposit to borrow the loan phone (which they didnt even have on site). The girl said if I didnt want to wait that long I should phone their "lifeline" number.

I went home and tried to phone the number and because it was 17:02, the office had closed for the day. I sighed. I then phoned up the next morning and the lady said that the girl should never have directed me to phone them, that she was basically talking bollocks, it shouldnt be 2 weeks, they should have a loan phone and she was very sorry about the way I was spoken to. She directed me to go to the Birmingham New Street branch.

I went in on my lunch break, they took the phone, told me it was going to be 24 hours and I could pick it up the next day. I enquired about having the excess fee waived because of the **** I had been through to get the thing repaired, and the fact that the New Street branch ALSO didn't have a loan phone available (yes that's right, 2 stores both without loan phones). They put me through to "lifeline" from in the store.

I spoke to a lady who basically told me after stringing me along for 20 minutes, putting me on hold to "check details" that she didn't have the authority to waive my excess fee. I said fine, put me through to a manager please.

I was on hold for another 15 minutes.

I finally get through to a bloke who sounded in his mid twenties and highly arrogant who basically told me that I signed up for their insurance, I abide by their terms and conditions, and basically I could **** off (not in so many words, but thats the implication). I rang up their complaints line and put in a complaint about the staff member in solihull, the arrogant rude manager who dealt with me, and the fact they were the most expensive insurance with no idea of customer service.

I get a call back 2 days later saying that they have tried to go through my complaint but because the staff member in solihull was face to face there was no evidence but her manager has been told. She then said they had the original phone call I made on the Monday morning but because I phoned up from in New Street store on the afternoon the number was withheld and they didn't record the conversation I had with the snotnosed manager. How convenient is that?

Sorry I'm closing this complaint, as there is no evidence that we can use. I'm sorry you had a grievance. And that was that. Nothing at all.

I cancelled my insurance with them the next day once I picked my phone back up from New Street and am using the cover I get for free from my bank for having an upgraded account (Gold account - gives me travel insurance, free phone insurance, sentinal card protection and a load of other crap I didnt realise), and it turns out the insurance from my bank gives me BETTER cover than the lifeline stuff from CPW! Gives me direct phone replacement anywhere in the world, 11.99 excess fee for claims, accidental damage cover including liquid damage and the best part, it's free because of my bank account.

I guess what I was trying to say is to anyone else thinking about getting a contract through CPW, DO NOT use their insurance, they are god awful and very expensive.

Rant over.
Sir_Pyrate is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 11:19   #2
Ðiego

Default Re: Beware the Carphone Warehouse "lifeline"

£12 a month? For insurrance? On a MOBILE?!?
Ðiego is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 11:23   #3
Sir_Pyrate

Indeed. They trick you by saying it's 8.99 per month then there are extra costs and VAT on top. It ends up being 11.99 per month.
Old Fri 21st Nov, 11:55   #4
Kamelion
Karma Sutra

mine is £6.95 for that i get 24 hour replacement if stolen lost or damaged, covers accesories up to £200 and covers me if someone else is using it - anywhere in the world. there is a £25 excess tho
Kamelion is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 11:57   #5
Ðiego

I wouldn't pay £1 a month
Ðiego is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 12:00   #6
Kamelion
Karma Sutra

When I got my first contract phone (with orange) insurance was provided free. What a difference 16 years makes.
Kamelion is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 12:37   #7
★ Wilko ☢
GSE wannabe ;)

My insurance on my n96 is free with o2, gotta love haggling for extras
★ Wilko ☢ is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 12:48   #8
Manje

i got that lifeline, and i had no problems with it, i got a replacment phone and i had mine back wth me within 2 weeks
Manje is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 13:01   #9
Sir_Pyrate

Do you not think 2 weeks is fairly ridiculous? Most phone companies will just say here you go heres a new one. I know Orange do - my Girlfriend is with them and they have replaced her phone twice in the space of 8 months.

No waiting around, no ********, heres a new phone. She only pays £6.50 a month as well, and they waived the excess the first time for her, the second time she's had to pay £15, but that's still INFINITELY better than CPW.
Old Fri 21st Nov, 13:26   #10
Manje

yeah your right it is ridulous, especially when the replacment phone was awful, and i had to return it because it broke. But i dont think i paud anywhere near that amount, i think mine was about £25 for the 3 years!
Manje is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 15:45   #11
Pye

my mate just bought a phone from Carphone Warehouse and somehow a fraudster managed to get his details off them and took all of his money out of his bank :/
Pye is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 17:52   #12
moo moo im a zebra
P1$$_4RTI$T

I also realised my bank covered my phone after upgrading my account, along with lots of other stuff including breakdown cover.
moo moo im a zebra is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 18:04   #13
Ewaf
Banned

Sounds atrocious.
Ewaf is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 18:04   #14
hyperzzzzz
Likes capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pyrate View Post
Do you not think 2 weeks is fairly ridiculous? Most phone companies will just say here you go heres a new one. I know Orange do - my Girlfriend is with them and they have replaced her phone twice in the space of 8 months.

No waiting around, no ********, heres a new phone. She only pays £6.50 a month as well, and they waived the excess the first time for her, the second time she's had to pay £15, but that's still INFINITELY better than CPW.
Your GF was most likely in different circumstances, loan phone wise; it is possible to run out of loan phones. Even if they had enough to begin with loads of people may of happened to get them the day before, they cant just produce one like that if they have all gone.

However that price for insurance is ridiculous. @ o2 its £6 p/m £25 excess & 48 hr replacement.
hyperzzzzz is offline   Quote
Old Fri 21st Nov, 23:22   #15
HippY-
BRB Shank!!

It still amazes me after all this time why people go with Carphone Warehouse.

So bad they need to hand out PS3's and laptops to even get a sale

They also tend to own their numbers too, so if you ever want to leave the majority of the time you won't be able to pac your number over unless you pay.

Tip - always go direct
HippY- is offline   Quote
Old Sun 23rd Nov, 19:57   #16
Paper Plane
I lick balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippY- View Post
It still amazes me after all this time why people go with Carphone Warehouse.

So bad they need to hand out PS3's and laptops to even get a sale

They also tend to own their numbers too, so if you ever want to leave the majority of the time you won't be able to pac your number over unless you pay.

Tip - always go direct
lol, i got PS3 deal from there last month.

£35 p/m, 18 months. unlimited texts, 750 anytime any network minutes, free nokia 6500 slide, free 80gb PS3...... with singstar.

The phone isn't too bad, andafter ordering online everything got delivered the next day. I would have bought a PS3 eventually so this way i'm just spreading the cost. i worked it out to be £18 per month when u take away the price of the PS3.
Paper Plane is offline   Quote
Old Mon 24th Nov, 07:31   #17
Sir_Pyrate

Yeah I got a good contract deal out of them via O2, but the insurance offer and customer service are both absolutely awful.

I won't be renewing with them once the contract is up, I'll go direct to O2.
Old Mon 24th Nov, 11:13   #18
|3MC| mD^
Paris to Berlin

Carphone warehouse look like saints in comparison with Phones 4 u - dont get me started on those muppets.

Mind you, those insurance packages are damn expensive, by the time you have damaged your phone in the 3rd month of owning it and paying the excess and delivery charges you would have been better off just buying a new handset it seems!
|3MC| mD^ is offline   Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search